Seven Things Which I have learned During My First Year of Divorce

Here are a few tips to ease the burden during this difficult time:
1. If you were married for any length of time, it’s very important that you allow yourself the appropriate amount of grieving time before you jump into a new relationship. When I was single, when one relationship ended, I was never alone for more than a week.
This practice did not translate after more than two decades of marriage. Case in point: shortly after my divorce was final I reconnected with a former lover.
We knew the drill so to speak so it didn’t take long after our initial re connection for things to take a sharp turn to serious. And hey, we’ve all heard that the best way to get over a man is to get under a new one!
Not true in my case because ultimately this whole experience, while a nice trip down memory lane, didn’t do anything but delay my healing process. Please don’t make this mistake.

2. While I don’t think you should become celibate, you should definitely date the following men in moderation: Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, Pino Grigio, his cousin Pino Noir, Captain Morgan and Sam Adams. Remember the kid’s song about hunting for a bear? When looking through tall grass for the bear: “You can’t go under it, you can’t go over it, can’t go around it, gotta go through it.” Going through a divorce and its aftermath is pretty much the same thing. You have to go through the grieving process. Drinking in excess just delays the inevitable.

3. A wise man named Tom Cruise once said, in the movie Cocktail, “All things end badly, otherwise they wouldn’t end.” This is an understatement when it comes to high conflict divorces. To that end, I found that mastering the art of “no contact” or “as little contact as possible” is the way to go when it comes to high conflict divorces. Due to my children’s adult status when I divorced, I went with option A: no contact.
I had received incidental emails related to tying up loose ends in 2014 and had absolutely no contact in 2015. One could argue that my “better year status”, earned in 2015, was due in part to my strict enforcement of no contact. And one would be correct. Do yourself a favor and bring on that better year status quicker by having no contact as humanly possible, ASAP!

4. Getting a divorce is like being on the precipice of a dark, scary void. Taking those first few steps into that abyss is definitely frightening and often times challenging, but after being there for a while you appreciate the unknown and start to embrace it. Only when you embrace it does the world become open to new possibilities for you.
New possibilities could include starting a new job, furthering your education, trying new hobbies or meeting new people. This is another great argument against committing yourself too soon to another person after you divorce because those doors might close prematurely. And let’s face it; divorced moms who have spent the majority of their time caring for their children and their husbands often get their needs pushed to the bottom of the pile. You’re traveling lighter now; act accordingly.  

5. Divorce is NOT a tragedy. Staying in a bad marriage is a much bigger tragedy because who wants to waste their time? Even if you didn’t want your divorce, look at it this way, why would you want to stay with someone who doesn’t want to be with you? Learn from the relationship; think about what you might do better next time and save that for a person who will truly cherish you.

6. Weekends and holidays can be especially painful during the first year. During my first year, I dreaded weekends more than a root canal. It’s not like I had particularly awesome weekends when I was married either but we humans love our routines, even if they are nothing special.
To combat my weekend blues my second year I accepted invitations to anything I was invited to whether I wanted to go or not. Soon I started creating my own opportunities by volunteering, joining Meet Ups and even creating a Meet Up of my own. My weekends are no longer lonely!

7. With regard to holidays; those can be more challenging but they are also an opportunity. You can re-create them into something you fashion with your children, siblings or parents, or any combination of the three. Let’s face it, some of our old family traditions with our in-laws were probably not the best, or in my case, worthy of an appearance on the Jerry Springer show. This is a great reason to switch things up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2016 FootFace. Site Designed by Footface Company. All Rights Reserved.